Thursday, June 30, 2011

Field Report: The Big Cheese Truck

Although my vacation schedule didn't allow me to do a standard post this past week, I did get in some quality grilled cheese time nonetheless.  Starting with:


The Big Cheese Truck at Movie Under the Moon!  I love Movie Under the Moon as it is, but once I heard that the Big Cheese truck would be making an appearance (and that The Wizard of Oz, one of my all time faves, would be playing), I knew I had to go. 

Ironically the same day that I saw that the Big Cheese would be coming I had been thinking to myself that I was disappointed that a grilled cheese truck of some sort would never make its way all the way out to my office and that the next time I had a weekday free I should go in search of the truck.  Well, it must've read my mind!


They didn't have a super extensive selection and many of their choices are quite similar to sandwiches I've tried before, but I'm always pumped to get a new take on an old favorite.  Since we were at Movie Under the Moon, I decided to try the "Midnight Moon," which (as you can see) consisted of goat Gouda and caramelized onions on multigrain.  The description reminded me of the much-hated Dutch Grilled Cheese, but it sounded different enough that I was willing to give it a try.


Here's the sandwich-- pretty straightforward.


And here's the sandwich after being savagely ripped open by me :-P

I was interested to find out what goat Gouda tasted like.  Turns out it's basically like a firmer goat cheese (rather than being easily spreadable and runny it has some more substance to it).  I liked the combination of the goat cheese and the caramelized onions (in this case caramelized white onions rather than the red onions used for the Dutch Grilled Cheese), but could've used more cheese.  The bread was really hearty, so it was easy for some of the would-be gooiness to get muted by the dryness of the bread.  On the whole I liked it and found myself wishing that Colin and I were hungry enough to split a second sandwich.  I think this was partially due to their high quality ingredients-- they use artisan cheeses sourced exclusively from Cowgirl Creamery and bread from Lyon Bakery, both hipster-esque DC foodie spots.  I'm glad I got to encounter the DC grilled cheese truck and look forward to the day when our paths may cross again.

Stay tuned for my mass production grilled cheese making at the beach (special guest appearance by the Cheese Whiz Kid).

No comments:

Post a Comment