Thursday, January 5, 2012

I'm Back!

Phew!  Apologies for the extended absence, but (as I'm sure everyone knows) things get crazy around the end of the year!  I've still got one sandwich report waiting, but won't be able to write it up until I find my notes (perhaps buried under a pile of Christmas gifts).  In the mean time I'm dropping a quick post about New Year's Eve!  Some friends and I all rented a lake house together and we took turns making meals for everyone.  When it was my turn, guess what I made?  You're right!  Chicken pot pie!  Juuuuust kidding :-)  We all know I can only cook one thing (albeit in multiple iterations), so we decided to re-visit two of our greatest hits: The Pilgrim and The California Grill.  Here are some pics from our massive grilled cheese adventure (I believe we made about 35-40 sandwiches).

Removing the rind from the gouda wasn't easy.
Sous Chef continues to work on the gouda.
It was a tall order, so we had to call in further reinforcements.
Prepping the first round of sandwiches.
Hard at work, but not too hard to pose for a picture :-)
Pilgrims ready for the pan.
In the throes of sandwich making.


Reminding Sous Chef of how to make a California Grill.
Just about ready!
Satisfied customers... I hope.
 
We took a poll at the end and the overwhelming winner was The Pilgrim, but I think both sandwiches fared pretty well.  One person told me that they were good compliments for each other because the coolness of the California Grill balanced out the spicy dijon taste of the Pilgrim.  But, my favorite praise of the night was "I don't like half of the ingredients in this sandwich, and yet I still think it's delicious!"  Can't ask for a better review than that :-)

2 comments:

  1. You had some lucky friends that evening!
    Based on their feedback and preference for The Pilgrim, are you considering demoting The California Grill from its lofty A+ rating?

    Also, your Leader Board is a nice addition to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No demotions in store, but perhaps a promotion? The Pilgrim is certainly continuing to campaign for top billing.

    Glad you like the leader board :-) Keep your eye on it to see if The Pilgrim ends up attaining A+ status.

    ReplyDelete