Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Field Report: Angelina's Coffee and Yogurt

It turns out for the meeting I'm working in Miami we actually finish up relatively early in the evening!  That means that I had the night to myself to present a second field report!  Angelina's is actually the first thing that came up when I searched "Grilled Cheese Miami," so despite the un-sandwichy name, I figured it was worth a go (especially once I read the positive reviews of the Adult Grilled Cheese menu).


So I hopped in a cab and headed over to an area that I think was called the mid-city mall (no idea if this is correct, but whatever).  The restaurant itself was a pretty small pay by weight yogurt shop that also featured a menu of crepes, flatbreads and GRILLED CHEESES! (duh)  There were 9 sandwiches total on the adult grilled cheese menu, and while I was tempted by several I opted for the number 7: Gouda, Havarti, red onion, ham and spinach leaves on rye. 


The sandwich itself definitely looks "adult."  It was served with a nice strawberry and goat cheese summer salad and had an even proportion of ingredients that reminded me more of a regular panini than of a grilled cheese. 


This was the second instance I had of trying the combination of Gouda cheese and red onions, and I would say that this was a MUCH greater success than the Dutch Grilled Cheese was.  The red onions added some nice flavor to the sandwich without being too overly strong and the smoothness of the gooey cheese actually did help to temper the pungency of the onions. 

Speaking of the cheese, it was kind of cool that they put cheese on both slices of bread-- as in there was bread, cheese, filling, cheese, bread.  I liked the way this made a nice gooey bread combo in every bite!  Even though the Havarti was a little bit more gooey than the Gouda, neither was overly runny.  Like I said, there was just enough melty-ness to the sandwich to keep the ingredients all balanced.  At first I thought that the sandwich wouldn't be cheesy enough, but as I kept eating I realized the Gouda was sort of sticking to the roof of my mouth and that I was getting a progressively cheesier taste.  By the end I was actually starting to wonder if Gouda is too rich for me?  I'll banish that thought for now as any cheese that's as consistently ooey gooey as Gouda MUST be a cheese I like, right?  Right?  Fingers crossed this isn't the first in a slippery slope towards lactose intolerance... eek!  Perish the thought!


As usual, 'twas a successful field report-- although I would still say this lands more on the panini end of the spectrum than it does on the true grilled cheese end (I can't help but still be a bit biased against grilled cheeses with meat).

No comments:

Post a Comment