Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Memorial Day

Plans are already in the works for a field report from my Chicago trip (get pumped), but in the mean time here's a little something to tide you over.

I was at a Memorial Day BBQ this weekend, but my options were limited in terms of food since I don't eat beef-- luckily I was able to cobble together a little grilled cheese treat :-)  I used a hot dog bun and topped it with two slices of monterey jack cheese (a past favorite) and one slice of colby jack.  GGC suggests trying a gas grill for some sandwiches, but since I don't have a grill I've never had the opportunity to give this a try... until now! 


Prep was easy enough-- put the cheese on the bun and pop it on the grill for a few minutes.  Since the coals were still decently hot (albeit not flaming) it didn't take too long to melt the cheese.  I flipped it once or twice to make sure the bread was evenly toasted and soon it was ready:


It ended up looking a lot like a panini thanks to the grill marks. 

As far as taste goes, it was fine.  I had a hearty serving of ketchup to accompany it, but it was still kind of dry.  The sandwich could've been improved by:
1) Pressing the sandwich while it was cooking to get more of that compact grilled cheese look and flavor.
2) Having a little butter on the outside.

Overall, it was fine in a pinch, but hardly worthy of GGC.  I probably should've gotten more creative (included some of the other condiments like grilled onions, pickles, etc.) but oh well!  I was just glad I finally had the chance to cook on a grill.

(Since this was more of an experiment I'm not going to use the rating scale on it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment